Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The U.S. Postal "Service": Inaction

The following is actual correspondence between me and USPS.

UPDATED, BELOW

From me to USPS - 07/25/2007 05:36 PM:
On Tuesday, July 17, I handed a hold mail authorization form to a letter carrier as he delivered mail to my address. In that form, I authorized the holding of my mail beginning Thursday, July 19, and the delivery of all held mail on Wednesday, July 25.

[My local post office] failed to comply with my request. A neighbor checked my mail box on Saturday, July 21, and found it full of mail, which she kindly collected and held for me. When I returned late in the day on Tuesday, July 24, I checked my mailbox and found mail in it. All I received today, July 25, when all of my held mail was to be delivered, was three pieces of junk mail.

It is evident that the mail collected by my neighbor on July 21 and by me on July 24 comprised all of the mail that was delivered from July 19 through July 24, when [my local post office] was supposed to be holding my mail.

It is possible, of course, that some of the mail delivered from July 19 through July 24 was stolen. Why? Because [my local post office] failed to hold my mail from July 19 through July 24 as I had requested in writing on July 17.
From USPS to me - 07/26/2007 12:06 AM
Thank you for contacting us regarding your Hold Mail Request.

I apologize your request was not honored, and thank you for taking the time to let us know about your situation.

I will be happy to document this complaint. However, I need some additional information so this can be sent to the correct office and you can be contacted. Please reply to this email with the following information:

- Your home telephone number
- Whether you would like to receive a call regarding this issue (There is no guarantee that further information can be provided via email.)

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service®.

Regards,

Patricia S
(Dig that part about "choosing" USPS.)

From me to USPS - 07/26/2007 8:25 PM
My home telephone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.

I may be contacted by phone, if necessary.

The purpose of my complaint is not to place blame on anyone, for I do not know precisely where the fault lies. But I would like to know what steps will be taken to prevent a recurrence of the problem. It is unacceptable for mail to be delivered when I have requested a hold. This is not the first such failure. I have not logged previous failures, but I have begun to keep a log, beginning with the events of July 19-24.
From USPS to me - 7/26/2007 08:34 PM
Thank you for responding with the requested information.

I am sending this information to your Post Office™ for immediate attention. You should receive a call by the end of the next business day. If you need to contact me again regarding this issue, please refer to the following confirmation number: xxxxxxxxxx.

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service®.

Regards,

Patricia S
(There's that "choosing" bit again. Note, also, that "Patricia S" replied to me at 12:06 a.m. and 8:34 p.m. of the same day. "Patty" sure does work long hours -- hah! If there is really a "Patricia S," she probably works the night shift, shoveling the s____ that rains on USPS at the end of each day from the many "satisfied" customers who "chose" USPS.)

From me to USPS - 08/01/07 03:58 PM
Four business days have elapsed since your most recent missive, in which you said that I "should receive a call by the end of the next business day." As I said in an earlier e-mail, I would like to know what steps will be taken to prevent the delivery of my mail after I have requested a hold. I really would.
From USPS to me - 08/01/07 03:58 PM [How's that for "responsiveness"?]
Thank you for contacting the United States Postal Service. We have received your inquiry and will be sending a detailed response to you within 1-2 business days.
I'm not holding my breath. Updates may or may not follow.

UPDATE (08/02/07, 3:50 p.m.): I was finally contacted, today, by someone from my local post office. The short of it is this: There is a system (something called "notification cards") for informing carriers (substitutes as well as regulars) about hold-mail requests. But...surprise, surprise...notification cards aren't always used or, if used, heeded by all the carriers who might be assigned to cover a route.

What will be done about the problem? "We'll try to do better in the future and give you the service you deserve," saith the representative of my local post office.

I bet there's mail in my mailbox the next time I return from a trip. Anyone want to take that bet?