Monday, November 01, 2004

"Forgiving" Youthful Error

A young man from Oz posted a rather bizarre comment on a blog that I read daily. That led me to the young man's blog, where I found this:
This is my thoughts on Writing and Politics. This blog also includes reviews on movies, albums etc and my general thoughts....

Hi my name is B******* S****, I'm and 18 year old from Sydney Australia. There are basically two sides to me, writing and politics. I write horror, thriller and poetry, and it usually contains some sort of inner meaning about life or humanity. With politics, I am a passionate left-wing blogger, that promotes treating everyone with respect and compassion....

...[T]here are so many pro-Bush blogs out there backing Bush up, but even bloggers on the civil rights/anti-bush side, we seem to be inherantly biased. Though I think the difference is, although we are biased, I speak the truth. My biased opinion is not wrong because it is biased, I have gained my opinion from the truth. Bush bloggers have an opinion, however racist, but it is based on lies. Bush lied to the world when he said Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. He lied when he said he would do anything to capture Saddam Hussein. Bush bloggers are just puppets to the Fox new channel....
Even those among you who sometimes wrestle with spelling, punctuation, grammar, syntax, and logic can see the errors in those three quotations. Do those errors mean that the young man is stupid? Not necessarily, though his IQ is almost certainly quite a bit lower than George Bush's -- a fact that the young man probably doesn't like to admit. Does the third quotation mean that he is a confirmed left-wing bigot? Not necessarily; he may simply be going through a "rebellious phase" that's common in young adults.

But I lost my tolerance for the young man's mental deficit and youthful foibles when I read a post in which he enthuses about bin Laden's latest message:
...He [bin Laden] then told of his inspiration for the September 11 attacks saying "As I watched the destroyed towers in Lebanon, it occurred to me to punish the unjust the same way ... to destroy towers in America so that it can taste some of what we are tasting and to stop killing our children and women," He was referring to an Israeli attack on towers in Lebanon that the US was accused of supporting. Maybe people will realise terrorism is running both ways.
Oops, I gave away the young man's identity. How "stupid" of me.