Sunday, July 29, 2007

Libertarian Whining about Cell Phones and Driving

Read this bit of whining by Glen Whitman, then this, by me.

I do not want to be on the same road as Glen Whitman (an admitted cell-phone-talking driver) and his ilk. Unfortunately, I haven't any choice -- unless I give up driving.

Liberty is not about doing as one wishes. It is about doing what is responsible. It is irresponsible -- plain and simple -- to drive while talking on a cell phone. None of the excuses invented by Whitman can change that fact.

I say "excuses," because Whitman is evidently looking for ways to evade responsibility for the patently deplorable practice of driving while talking on a cell phone -- "hands free" or otherwise. I've seen more than my share of cell-phone-impaired drivers. I know what I'm talking about.

Some people should just grow up and act responsibly. End of message.