Saturday, April 02, 2005

Right (Coast) On!

UPDATED BELOW

Tom Smith of The Right Coast rants the best rant I've ever read (pace Lileks):
Mark Kleinman [sic throughout; s/b Kleiman: ED] seems to find my little artistic effort depicting Michael Schiavo in the Bad Place in poor taste. It may be. When wondering how to respond to the killing of a person whose parents just wanted to take care of her, good taste is one of the first things to go....

Besides, there's a lot to talk about, such as, what should be done to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen again? By this sort of thing, I mean the slow killing of a woman, even though her parents stood ready to care for her, at the instigation of her former husband, a man of an apparently extremely selfish and spiteful character....Professor Kleinman calls me a ghoul, which is rich....I think all of us ghouls should unite, and keep an eye out for old people, babies, and people in power wheelchairs, because I think in the next decade or so, they're going to need all the help they can get.
As I said upon learning of Terri Schiavo's death by starvation and dehydration, "Are you next?" That's all I could muster at the time. Tom Smith has articulated my outrage. Go, read his post.

UPDATE: Kleiman, not surprisingly, opposes the use of torture. I guess he forgot to add the footnote that says "except in the case of a speechless, defenseless, innocent person."