Saturday, August 21, 2004

The Folly of Being Nonjudgmental

It's a sin to be judgmental in the brave (old) world of liberal wimp-speak. Mustn't judge other cultures by our standards. Mustn't condemn Islamists out of hand, they have a point of view and "legitimate" grievances (sorry, I just have to use quotation marks there). Consider the causes of crime (broken homes, poverty, etc.) and be less judgmental about criminals. And on, and on.

It makes me wonder what it would take to get a hemorrhaging cardiac organ (bleeding heart) to judge anyone. How about when she's in line to buy tickets for a Bruce Springsteen concert; would she judge me if I cut in line ahead of her? How about when he's cruising down the freeway in his SUV, while talking on his cell phone, and I cut across his bow as I spot the exit I've been looking for; would he judge me then? You get the idea.

It's easy to say "don't be judgmental" until someone violates your personal space. But if you wait until that moment to be judgmental, you will have waited too long.